A: You should follow these five steps after an accident:
- Prompt and appropriate medical care should be your number one priority. Seek necessary medical care and treatment immediately.
- Report the accident to the police or someone in charge. Make sure that you review the report for accuracy. Note the reporting authority and the report number.
- Note the names of all witnesses.
- Do not give any statements or sign any documents without first consulting a lawyer.
- As soon as your medical needs are taken care of, contact a lawyer who handles accident cases to discuss your rights. Proper representation may greatly increase your chances for recovery.